Question

JSL1985

Need advice on resolving a debt that has been transferred to couple collection firms
Hello, I have 2 outstanding debt that has been charged off by the original creditor and sold to a collection agency. This collection agency, then, referred it (not sold) to another debt collection firm, and now they are trying to collect a higher amount from me. I assume is because of the interest that has piled up prior to transfer of the debt after I stopped making payments.
How do I approach to settle this? I saved a lump sum of money and would like to settle, but do I do this with the current debt collection firm or the collection agency who the original creditor sold it to?
Also, to make this even more confusing, this debt is about 2 years old, and none of this is on my credit report besides "charged-off" on the amounts from the original creditor. If I pay this off, does it even affect my credit? And how do I get this charged-off status to at least- settled?
Any advice on how to approach this, would be awesome. Thank you.

If the credit collection agent has not reported this, it is in your best interest to work it out with as quickly as possible before they file informaiton.   Ensure you negotiate a pay to delete option and have that in writing.  If you don't do the pay to delete, they can still file after you have paid, if they desire, although if they have not filed yet, its unlikely, but possible that they will file.  I doubt that the original charged off amount will change or any change in their status will occur.  Work with the firm who "owns" the debit (paper).  When it is all said and done, file your dispute with the bureau providing all necessary documentation.   You stand a chance that during your dispute the original creditor may not respond to the request, in which case, they'll side with you during the dispute process.  Good luck.