Question

CitationXx

Need advice on how to improve my credit
I had a few tragic events happen over the past few months that put me 6 months behind on credit card payments. This resulted in all my credit cards being closed. I have 1 account in collection for $350 dollars that i am in the process of negotiating to have deleted when i pay it. What is the best way that i can rebuild my credit. Currently I sit at 488 on my credit score.

My condolences for the tragedies--it's unfortunate that the credit system penalizes you for things beyond your control, but it is what it is and I commend you for moving forward and wanting to improve your situation. 
First, I would pay the collections account, or settle with them for a lower amount. A closed collection looks better on your report than an open collection, and this change for a relatively small amount of money could have a surprisingly big impact on your life. Creditors look at you completely differently when you have a closed collection vs an open collection. You should understand that paying it will have almost no impact on your score though, and the collection agency will probably not delete it after payment. This is valid information for the credit bureaus, and they don't take kindly to having relevant, accurate information monkeyed with, and especially over such a small amount. 

You are basically starting over. Get some accounts in good standing to offset the bad ones. Above all, make all payments on time from now on, and don't get any more bad marks on your report. Get a secured card, don't go over the limit, and make sure you have a balance of somewhere above zero but below 10% of your limit on the closing date for best score results. Don't try to get new accounts too quickly--every six months is a good rule of thumb. Try to build your credit back faster than that and your score will suffer because you are "seeking credit."

Best of luck to you!