Question

tr3ndz

My score dropped drastically for 1 missed payment. How to fix
Re Amazon Store Card Amazon.com Synchrony Bank

What to do? I applied for an Amazon Visa Card while making a purchase from Amazon.com I clicked a link that offered a further discount on the website by applying for an amazon card. I was under the assumption that this was part of Amazon Visa card. I made my purchase, and immediately paid my bill. A few days later I ordered some batteries for $2.50. I thought my Amazon Visa had been charged, but instead it was this store card. I paid Amazon Visa card $2.50 ( and now had a credit of +$2.50 in the account. A few weeks later I got a notice stating payemnt required, if paid disregard this message type thing. I disregarded thinking I have paid. Approaching 60 days when checking CreditCarma I noticed my Equifax was down 120 points from 807 to 687. This is when I realized that amazon and A,azon store card are 2 different cards. I paid the bill immediately and contacted Amazon store card. They told me to contact Eqifax, Im going in circles with automated messages...Now both my Trans Union and Equifax are 680 and 687 due to this 1 missed payment. Prior to this, for the past 10 yrs I have never missed or made a late payment. How to fix?

Most Helpful Response

You have limited options.  Your best option is probably to send a Goodwill letter to Synchrony Bank explaining what happened, pointing out your perfect payment history with them on your Amazon Visa, expressing your desire to continue your good credit history record with them, and requesting that they remove the late payment from your credit reports as a gesture of goodwill and forgiveness for an honest mistake that will never be repeated.  Sometimes companies remove the derogatory item from your report and sometimes they don't.  If they don't, your score will recover a large portion of those points over the next three years and the rest when the late payment falls off your reports in seven years.

tr3ndz

Thanks for the tip, Im seriously furious because we are talking about $2.50c  and this particular bank have numerous complaints with BBB over 300 in a 1yr span. They dont send you a monthly statement, they just leave it to you to make the payment, but if you dont, which is how they make their money, they throw a late fee penaly. 

http://www.bbb.org/dayton/business-reviews/credit-cards-and-plans/synchrony-bank-formerly-ge-capital-retail-bank-in-kettering-oh-5001136/customer-reviews

Just last year this bank was issued to pay $225 million for deceptive practices exactly as I have described. 

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/newsroom/cfpb-orders-ge-capital-to-pay-225-million-in-consumer-relief-for-deceptive-and-discriminatory-credit-card-practices/

Im going to make the call as you suggested and start there. Thanks for responding. 

Thx...

I called Synchrony Bank today and the gave me a credit on late fees and have removed it off my account, but they said they couldnt do anything to respore my credit report. 

I filled a disput with Equifax by calling them. I explained to the customer help exactly what happened. They looked into my credit report and could see no missed payments in past 7 yrs.  They said it may take upto 30 days but if a chnage takes place will reflect on report next month. They issued a 10 digit confirmation number where you can check status. 

I have to file a dispute with Trans Union also now.

DJHall2216

This is normal.  I ended up wiht an AT&T collection when I moved and transferred service to a new address because they mailed a final bill to my old address and never contacted me at my new one even though they were billing me for my new service at my new address every month.  After I paid AT&T the customer service representatives told me they wanted to delete the collection from my credit report but they couldn't because it was against the law.

I contacted the AT&T Executive Offices and requested the best address to send a Godwill letter to in order to reach someone with the authority to say yes as well as no.  They transferred my call to a representative from the office of the AT&T president.  They took my information and request and forwarded it to someone in collections management.  The next day I recieved a call informing me that the collection had been withdrawn and would disappear from my credit reports in 2 or 3 days.

The call center reps are correct when they say THEY can't do anything to take it off your credit reports, but someone higher up at Synchrony Bank can.  The tricks to success are 1) getting the request in front of someone high enough in the company management that they actually have the authority to make it happen, 2) having the reqeust sound sympathetic and not like someone who hasn't learned their lesson, and 3) persistence if your initial requests end up on the wrong desk or hits the person on a bad day.