Question

sa91588

My credit card carrier changed and is now showing as a closed account
I hold a card through best buy, which was previously run through capital one. I believe they have changed hands with who handles their credit cards, and although I maintain a balance on this card it is showing as a closed account on my credit report and hurting my credit. I did not close the account, and to my knowledge still hold a line of credit, and I am still making payments. How come the company changing hands is affecting my score?

Most Helpful Response

Capital One Card

I also had an old credit card and found out by credit karma that I owed money on a capital one card that I had no clue what it was for. After some research I found that it was from a 5+yr card that was taken over by Capital One about 3 months ago. I had some membership charge which turned into over $100+ in fees. I called Capital One and they took care of it and closed the account.
Just a heads up to everyone out there! These fees can add up so make sure to catch them before it turns into too much of a hassle! I'm hoping that after a month or two this card & charges will be removed from my credit & credit karma reflects the changes.

Same thing happened to me

I'm hoping that the new account will show up on my credit report and then make it's way to my CreditKarma account.  So far, no dice.

I'd like to know as well

I hold a card with them as well and am wanting to know what's going on as well.  I've now gotten the balance paid off as of the last statement, so I'm currently holding a no balance and have been paying faithfully by the due date.  Wish this wouldn't have a negative happening for us for the changes that had happened.

I would also like to know this answer

This happened to me when Capital One bought out the bank which issued my credit card, and it reflects on the credit report  like an account was closed, and then a new one opened, but really, I didn't do anything. 

Any advice would be helpful.  (Sorry I couldn't answer this myself.)  

Me Too!

I have the exact same scenario with my Best Buy card (and victoria secret is also showing closed as Captial One). Best Buy was HSBC forever, then I guess newer accounts became Capital One and now they are all Citibank. How do we get this misinformation corrected?