Question

itsyorkie

If I pay off a collection account will my credit score improve?

3rd party collection agencies....

HAVE NO CONTRACT with you to legally come after you for anything! If you want to get rid of something that has been sold from the original company to a collection agency do the following.. Sign up for an account at dispute.transunion.com. Go through each item and for those that state they are owned by a collection agency, dispute them and select the option "contract has been cancelled" and in the comment area write "NO CONTRACT". I have done this and have helped many others with the process to EASILY get rid of tons of debt... STOP PAYING 3rd party collectors! Unless you like giving your hard earned money away... Knowledge is power! :) <3

YES YOUR SCORE WILL INCREASE IF YOU HAVE THE COLLECTION AGENCY AGREE IN WRITING THAT THEY WILL DELETE THE INFOMATION FROM YOUR CREDIT REPORT.A "PAID COLLECTION" REMAKE IN YOUR CREDIT REPORT STATEMENT CAN SOMETIMES STILL BE A NEGATIVE.

waylonwilliams

this is correct. i paid off several collection accounts and failed to get them to agree to delete the info. i disputed and only one of them deleted the info. it still showes negative. how ever my score has increased 40 points since, about three months ago

Only1Ghiwawa

Agree with this statement as well along with the keywords "in writing"...that's the only thing I see that can save your rep and maintain your score or help improve it...good info..thank you..

Diligence101

I've had 6 collections removed from my credit report simply by contacting the collection agency, negotiating a payoff balance, getting a signed letter stating that they will completely delete tradeline from all three credit reporting agencies.  The collection agency may say no at first but you just have to be persistent. Don't settle for no from an "account specialist" etc..I've writtent to the president/VP of some of these companies to get a response. Explain that you are trying hard to make good on your debts. That you are trying to rebuild your credit. Show them you are willing to work with them if they will work with you. Explain that it is not worthy to pay off a collection and have it remain on your credit because a zero balance and an unpaid balance do the same damage on your report. It is just the fact that it is a collection that does the damage. To improve you score, it must be removed completely. There are form letters that you can fill out and send to the collection agency as an offer for "pay to delete" deals. You must be persistent. Don't give up. I have one left that refuses to work with me. I email them and fax them my offer every day. I'm at 30 days straight now. I will keep doing it until they get tired of seeing the offers. I keep a record of every one that I send. I just wrote the President of the company and hope that he will see the sense in making a fair trade. Diligence is key!

pitsy088

That is so unfair, if your going to pay back an old debt, it should be a positive.  But everytime I made a payment to a collection they turned in the payment but it shows up as a negative on the original debt.  I did not know that.  Everyone should read everything to educate themselves about credit repair.  Because as we who are building know,  even a few points the wrong way are So Dissapointing.  Thanks for all the great advice guys!!!

justd80010

This is worth a shot, I tried it. I've never written so many letters in my life. But not a single collection agency agreed to delete the debt but one, NCO. All the others agreed to settle and mark the account "paid in full." 

Kfarrington05

Would you write a letter and have them sign it to remove the collection? How can you really go about getting everything clear?

Fixing Collections that are not mine.

I have a very odd situation that i dont know how to fix.. I had an account with Duke energy and lived with my girlfriend but we broke up and she moved into a new place as did I but the bill was currently still in my name AT HER NEW ADDRESS. We then transfered it to her name and i thought everything was ok. Well come to find out i have a payment in collections a year later with an account that was supposed to be transfered to her personal info and at an address that i wasn't living at with power i wasn't using. If i get a written letter and signature from my ex stating i was not living there at the time and she takes full responsibilty as well as a copy of her lease showing i wasn't on it can i get this collections to go away?? I don't even have access to the Duke Energy account so how could i even pay it off anyways?!?!?!?!?

Positive Credit or lack of positive credit has as much or more impact on a credit score. Now that point deduction technology is finally available to consumers we are able to increase and maintain our credit scores in a short period of time.

Point Deduction Technology is a software program designed to analyze your credit data. Credit scores range from 350 to 850 leaving the possibility of capturing up to 500 points.

The software recognizes many factors used in credit scoring and assigns a point deduction number per item on a credit report. The assigned numbers will range from 0 to 100+ depending on the type of accounts reported.

The analysis separates the short term and long term point deductions, posting recommendations to recover the necessary points to increase a credit score.

www,ScoreNavigator.com analyzes a borrower's total credit picture based on the data reported by the bureaus. The combination of a borrower's total credit picture as well as each individual item are factors in determining the score impact of each individual item on a report. ScoreNavigator determines with 92% accuracy the point impact of each trade line on a credit report, whether positive or negative.

cerich

Thank you sheepdog. I am going to look into this right now.

Collection Agency Won't Delete Info.

I've contacted collection agencies that I owe to get them to send me confirmation in writing that the negative info. will be removed from my credit report upon receipt of full payment. They all say that they can't do this. What do I do? Should I just pay them anyway? I'm really trying to improve my credit. All of my accounts are no more than 3 years old.  Thanks in advance.

I had a old medical bill that was turned over for collection. It was 250.00 . It shows up as 4 or 5 different billings on credit report. It has been paid off for months and still reflects on my credit as 4 bad debts. The companies and /or bureaus refuse to remedy the report. I'd say that whether ya pay or don't pay makes them no difference. Not fair , but true.

gnilbeforeme

I had a similar problem where the same account was showing multiple times.  I called up the credit bureau and asked them why 3 or 4 hits were there for it rather than just 1.  They said it should only be the original account's and the current loan holder's.  They then sent a dispute to both the collection agencies to insure that only the current one was marking the account.

amoura1997

I t should show paid at least. I would dispute it with the credit bureaus and let them resolve it.

moakes

I am assuming you sent a check to the collection agency. If so, why don't you fax a copy of the cashed check and/or bank records to the credit bureaus?

Taraswank

Lol no i didn't i just spelled it wrong.

justd80010

If the account is close to the drop-dead date then there is probably no reason to pay it as it will remain on your report as "paid collection" anyway. Just let the account drop dead and then dispute it. However if the account is fairly recent and is going to be on your account for some number of years then it is best to first dispute it, it may drop just from this, if is doesn't then write the collection agency and offer to pay them 50% in exchange for them deleting the record (there are sample letters demonstrating how best to compose such letters). If they don't respond or respond negatively then write them another letter demanding they validate the debt (again, use examples found on the Internet). In the end if they still do not delete the account then pay it. 

The "paid collections" you can have removed after the drop dead date as well, the difference hear is that it looks better to make a good faith attempt to pay your debts than to not. So it just depends on your situation and how long you think you can go until the negative marks on your account drop off. 

chula95

i am agree with you i paid all my collection account.  i just get my credit report and they all show paid collection i call Expedia they said still there until the date collection account was open i dont get it the main reason you paying is to be under a good standing and STOP PEOPLE calling you to paid in full. :(

Taraswank

so even if you pay it off and ask them to remove it it will still be there?  I was told by someone from expeiran that if i would pay off my hospital bills that went to collections, it would drop my credit score by 30 points then every year after on the payment date my score would drop a little more. Is there any way around this?

zumbafan

medical bills stay on collection agency reports for seven years

bhuff85

There is your problem - you called an online travel agency rather than Experian.

i have a collection on my report for 70.00 dollars from a medical bill, i want to pay it off but i think if did i wpuld drop my already poor score of 610 what should i do i am trying to improve my score to get a house

I contacted a company that I had two months worth of collection history and they stated they were sending a letter to me and to the three credit agencies to have it removed. Will that increase my credit score a lot or a little?

Tashinawin

My understanding is that it will always show "0" balance if you took a charge off (settlement for less than the original amount) and it was reported to your credit report companies.

However, that does not mean that it won't have a negative effect on your credit score.  

I believe it still shows the amount owed if it goes into collections and is not resolved with the original company or the collections agency does not report your repayment correctly.

bucher5

it depends on what they send. if you payed a settlement amount it could show on your report different ways.  i have one that shows "bad debt" even though it has a zero balance.  They offered me the settlement amount they should be satisfied with the debt but it doesn't always work that way.  another one shows account closed and balance zero but states paid less than original balance. 

justd80010

If you pay an account and it says something like that you can make a comment on your reports telling what happened for potential creditors to consider your side when making their decision. 

Yes, mine went up 50 points when my collections were disputed.

By law after you pay the collection agency they have thirty days to remove it from your credit report. If they don't contest it & send a copy of your check to credit agencies.

fjm0606

That's a misconception. Based on the Fair Debit Collection Act a debit collector is not required to remove anything from your report that is true. 

So if you had a collection but paid it off, they can leave it on your credit report by noting it as "PAID" or "PAID, AS AGREES" etc.

What you really need to do is get an agreement in writing before you make any payment. Remember that collection companies usually pay pennies on the dollar for your accounts. This being said collection companies are typically willing to settle for 25-50% of the actual debit. So you truly have the upper hand. Also, most states have a Statute of limitations on a debit. Check to see if the debit is even still valid before you do anything.

The key is get everything in writing. I wouldn't even bother speaking with them over the phone.

I found a great resource for from letters to send collection agencies here:

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/forms/sampleletter6.shtml

Loren19

You can always negotiate with the company to remove the collection but you must get them to send it in writing and then once you get the letter of the agreement you can pay the collection. IT WORKS I JUST DID IT FOR MY HUSBANDS CREDIT REPORT.

Lerie468

After you pay the collection agency they have thirty days to remove it? or is it... I have to pay within 30 days of when the account was opened and then they can remove it...Because I just tried to get my account removed..The account was opened 5/26/2010 and they told me I had til 6/26/2010 to pay and have it removed..I paid 7/12/2010.