I was made a joint account holder without my permission after my husband passed away.
My husband passed away last year unexpectedly. He had a credit card account and made me an authorized user as we have throughout our 46 years of marriage. We never had joint accounts ever. After he died, I contacted the bank and tried to work out a payment arrangement with them as I could not afford all of my husband's bills or medical expenses. The bank/credit card company refused to work with me and I found out that they made me a joint account owner. They put the account in my name without my permission. I contacted an attorney and she advised me not to pay anymore as I was not legally responsible. She contacted them and a representative strongly advised to fill out a fraud claim that it looked like a third party was involved. I never had a credit card with them and never used them, my husband did. I did as advised and a rep from the fraud department called me (very rude) and said there was no fraud and I was a joint account holder. My attorney advised that they send me the application with my signature on it that proves I gave my permission. They sent me a letter claiming they could not provide that information. They immediately put me in a collections agency and my credit went from almost 800 to now 643. My daughter tried to help as she is my power of attorney and they were supposed to contact her on a Tuesday with a supervisor to file a complaint. They did not, but sent me another harassing letter. My attorney does not want me to pay and advised me to contact the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (which I did) as well as the Federal Trade Commission. I was also told that because my name is on our bank checks it made me responsible. My husband and I have shared a bank account (checking and savings) all our married life. I am 77 years old and devastated. I think this is very wrong and I don't know what else to do. Now other credit card companies have decreased my limit due to the one company that shows a default and missed payments on my credit score. I could use any advise if anyone went through this before. My daughter is paying back student loans and pays most of our expenses now. She has helped me as much as she can financially. I don't feel this is right at all.