Question

Candis34

I need help with starting to pay off creditors how?
I would like to start making payments and working my debt down. However I am not sure who I should contact to get this started. I am also not sure if I should start with one of the companies and pay them off and then go to the next, or if I should pay them all a little at a time. Can you please help me? I want to potentially buy a house soon and with my current score I am not going to be able to.

Here's the steps I would take.

1. Run your free annual credit report, to get all the collections/creditor name for those debts.

2. Look for the date to be drop off your credit report. If it's within a year, ignore those. If you're not buying a house before that time is up, just wait and let them drop. Your score will increase alot.

3. Any debts within 1-2 years, write a letter saying you would pay in full if they're willing to delete the record out of all three credit bureaus. Don't agree to pay unless they write in paper that they will delete it. Then pay off that first. Do the same for the next one. What you want to do is pay one at a time, so you don't juggle alot of account/payments at once.

4.Any late payments on current credit cards, see if you can call them to have them update the late payments to on-time.

5. Keep your utilization under 5% with all cards combined.

6. Good Luck!