Credit Advice

Have a question? Have advice to share? The combined knowledge and experience of everyone in the Credit Karma community can help you. Enter your question or help others below to get started!


Posted in Auto Loans
Profile Image

Question By

0 Contributions
0 People Helped
I need help deciding on whether to file bankruptcy, very sticky situation.
My first husband and I divorced in the divorce settlement he took the cars and was suppose to change them into his name only but didn't. He then allowed both of them to get repossessed and now that shows on my credit. He then got charged with rape of 2 girls and went to jail for 18 years. He knew he was going to jail and had these cars repoed to get back at me for divorcing him, after he was in jail he sent a letter telling me this. The credit companies don't care and now my husband and I have a small family owned woodworking business and live on a very modest income per month and cannot afford to keep paying for all the bills he left behind. He had opened credit cards in my name and I just got done paying 1300.00 for the last one, book clubs for my son and so on. This seems never ending what do I do. .Bankruptcy seems like my only option since he left me $30,000 in debt with 2 car loans

Your Credit Scores Should Be Free. And Now They Are.

View your scores and reports anytime.

All Responses

Result 1-1 of 1Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 1   Previous | Next
Top Contributor
11733 Contributions
4504 People Helped

Don't pay his debts!!!

That divorce decree set out the requirements for both parties in the divorce as regards the mutual debts.  They are enforcable under the law.  I hope you have the letter about his seeking revenge by not paying the car loans because the judge would be on very unhappy person to see it.  Talk about flaunting the law!!!

That he opened accounts in your name was at least fraud on his part and could get him additional trouble, and that you just paid them was not a smart move.  I DON"T pay anyone else's bill unless I did so voluntarily.

I hope you had an attorney for your divorce and that party should be contacted with all the information you posted.  If not an attorney, send copies (never the originals) to the judge along with the case number (actually a copy of the divorce decree would be helpful, which judges like) and a letter stating the issues.

Not knowing how long it has been since your divorce, there is a probabilty that any jointly held bills will be reported on your credit reports for up to 7 years post divorce, otherwise they should disappear.

Filing bankruptcy would hurt your credit for the next 10 years, but it sounds like hurting you was something your ex wanted to do.  Don't let him.  You may need to contact a bankruptcy attorney for a consultation (the initial one is usually free) and it is likely the attorney will give you some options outside of bankruptcy.

Hope this helps. 

Result 1-1 of 1Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 1   Previous | Next

Your Credit Scores Should Be Free. And Now They Are.

View your scores and reports anytime.


Reply to this Question

Write your response:
Enter Your Comments

The Credit Advice pages of the Site may contain messages submitted by users over whom Credit Karma has no control. Credit Karma cannot guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of any such messages. Some users may post messages that are misleading, untrue or offensive. You must bear all risk associated with your use of the Credit Advice pages and should not rely on messages in making (or refraining from making) any specific financial or other decisions.