Question

adamah1983

I need help and advice on old medical debt!!!
I am trying to establish credit right now because i have none. I currently have 2 secured cards. My score is 558 because i have no other creit lines. I do however have some old medical bills, 9 to be exact. They total about $4500. 3 of them are about to fall off so i am not worried about those. I would like to know if i should pay off the rest (they began reporting in 2011 when they were charged off. I have already disputed them with the big 3 and im hoping 1 or 2 will fall of. Should i pay the rest? My goal is to get qualified for an auto loan in 12 - 18 months. I am aware of the "pay for deletion" option but it is VERY hard to get collection agencies to actually do this. Any input would be much appreciated. I am new to building credit so anything would help. Thanks guy, i really appreciate it

Most Helpful Response

DV letter

Although there are some loopholes to medical debts with a collection agency (I have been doing tons of research lately). I managed to get a few of mine deleted with ease that were in collections and I paid nothing! I sent a debt validation letter to the collection agency withing 3 days they informed me they had no choice but to delete it off my report. For a 3rd party debt collector to validate medical debt it is in a direct violation of HIPPA regulations!!!! So they could not comply with my validation and deleted the debt. Often times this will kick it back to the origional creditor that is still better than it being in collections as you can negotiate "pay for delete"  or "paid as agreed" with the OC. Even a paid Collection has a negative impact on your score, Check your states SOL on debt reporting. It varies by state as to how long prior to something dropping off. If you have many previouse addresses on your CR send a letter to all three bureaus requesting the old addresses be removed and only your current address reported. Send them a copy of your DL and a utility bill that show your current address. This often helps in disputing debts as well as catching items prior to them reaching collections. I have many collections I did not recieve dunning letters from as I moved a lot in the past. Never forget that debt collectors "purchase your debt" for pennies on the dollar and with medical debt you can often time negotiate to pay less than 50% of the origional balance! When communicating with creditors for payment for delete always get it in writing and never do it over the phone, you want a paper trail! This way if they do not delete in a timley manner (usually 45 days max) you can submit all your records of the agreement to the CB's for deletion! 

If you make a payment on a collection it starts the SOL over, Pay the newest debts first as the old ones will likely drop off within 4-7 years (depending on the state you live in). Always keep documentation! Medical debts like to double dip, if you have inscurance it is  a good idea to keep track of things that they have paid as well.

pay for deletion

Negotiate negotiate negotiate! Do it all in writing nothing over the phone!!! Send via Certified mail return requested! Keep at it, if they want to make the $ they will agree to delete it, as long as you got it in writing and have confermation of your payment then you can submit this to the CB's yourself and they will delete it.