Question

parugo

I have paid an account in collections and want it removed. How can I do that?
Hello,
I have paid off an account that was not reported as a collection but was reported as delinquent. It was sold to a collection agency and I have paid them. I was given a verbal agreement on record that when the account was settled, it would be removed from my report, but I don't think I would trust them with a dust bunny let alone this. How can I go about doing this myself? Do I appeal to the bureaus or the original creditor or the collection agency? I have looked on Google and on Credit Karma and have gotten many conflicting views and suggestions.

I appreciate any helpful comments and advice.
Thanks,
Paolo

Paid in itself isn't an reason/ground for removal, paid and unpaid collections have same reportable length of 7 1/2 years (unless in New York State where paid collections supposedly last only 5 years), Now you will read many different stories and ways to have it removed, feel free to try them all, if it works? It would a exception than rule. If you paid it before collection agency reported then they probably won't bother to report, as it takes time and money... Paying collection account would not have any affect on the status of the original account, the late payment wont be removed just because you paid the collection, especially it was sold to collection agency.

parugo

Ok I understand. Legally they are to remain there for 7.5 years but I can try writing letters and making disputes and if they want to remove it they will, basically. Is my understanding correct? The reason I'm so confused is because there are a lot of different accounts all over the internet stating many different things. For the one account in collections that I have not paid anything for, can I issue a dispute for the validity of the debt and see what happens? Are there any negative ramifications for doing this?