Question

Starryskye80

I have followed everything CK has said to improve my score, but it dropped 30 points!
I have 3 lines of credit, one of which is over 2 years old (longer than I have been on CK). Whenever I can pull my credit report for free, I have been disputing the few negative items. I started with my Capital One card (my oldest). I then added Fingerhut, and most recently, Credit One. I added these because CK told me that I needed more lines of credit open, and I am trying to raise my credit score. It was almost at 600, but when I opened my last card, it dropped to 538! (Though, Credit One also gives a credit score, and it is over 30 points higher) Can anyone explain that?
I also just raised my limit on Capital One by 300 (secured), but that has not shown up yet.

When you get new lines of credit, your score does drop at first.  However, with time it will go up.  It just needs time for the payment history to kick in. Takes 3-4 months, so just be patient.  Also, don't rely on Credit Karma's advice.  You need to research and decide for yourself the best actions to take.  For that kind of info, I use www.credit.about.com.  You don't have to sign up and there is tons of great info.