Question

ShakotanRon

i have 4 accounts in collections.
as stated, i have 4 accounts in collections, if i payed off the smallest 3 accounts (the sum of which is only 14.5% of my total debt in collections) how would this effect my credit score?

i see myself as having 2 options, pay those 3 off in full, and make payments over time on the large account.

or, pay off the 3, and then attempt a settlement for the 4th, and pay it in full.

i have read that even though a debt is payed, it will still show as a negative remark. meaning i feel i may be best off to get a lawyer, and try to erase all of these marks off my credit all together.

The older the account is, the less damage it does.  The only reason to hire a lawyer is if the accounts are not yours, otherwise you're wasting your money.  So, I would pay off the newest collection account first and work your way backwards.  You can try to negotiate a "pay per delete" with the collectors, you get them to state in writing that they'll remove the account from the credit reports once paid in full.  From what I've heard, they rarely do this, but it never hurts to try.  Best of luck!