Credit Advice

Have a question? Have advice to share? The combined knowledge and experience of everyone in the Credit Karma community can help you. Enter your question or help others below to get started!


Posted in Credit Cards
Profile Image

Question By

0 Contributions
0 People Helped
hurting credit score, is there any hope?
after a bad divorce 6 years ago, my credit is still hurting with another 2-3 years it might look better. Is it worth contacting credit companies and lenders asking for them to remove form my credit score since it is 7 years this coming year in 2017 yet they continued to report until 2012-13 thus not starting my 'time clock of reporting' until then rather than when all was settled - my ignorance is just figuring this out. If i try to ask for this, do you have any phrases i should use to ask for removal form my credit history form these banks, etc?
thanks in advance

Your Credit Scores Should Be Free. And Now They Are.

View your scores and reports anytime.

All Responses

Results 1-2 of 2Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 1   Previous | Next
Top Contributor
1638 Contributions
1886 People Helped

Helpful to 1 out of 1 people

The reportable length (the clock) for collections/charge-offs/late payments is 7 1/2 years from the Date Of First Delinquency, and that Date dose not change nor restarts, regardless of when it was opened/closed or whenever it reports/updates or it's paid or not, you can obtain the DOFD either asks your original creditors or ask Credit Bureaus and Cedit Bureaus usualy would remove them off your report in 7 years, bit sooner if you ask for "early exclusions".


For references ... Per FCRA 605 (C) ...

  1. (1)  In general. The 7-year period referred to in paragraphs (4) and (6) of subsection (a) shall begin, with respect to any delinquent account that is placed for collection (internally or by referral to a third party, whichever is earlier), charged to profit and loss, or subjected to any similar action, upon the expiration of the 180-day period beginning on the date of the commencement of the delinquency which imme- diately preceded the collection activity, charge to profit and loss, or similar action. 


FCRA 605 (A) referenced above ...

  1. (4)  Accounts placed for collection or charged to profit and loss which antedate the report by more than seven years.


Top Contributor
37 Contributions
23 People Helped

Legally, they can report for 7.5 years from the time the account closed. Once they reach that age, if they haven't yet been removed you can dispute them with credit reporting agencies (when you open dispute, there is options to choose for why you are disputing.) Generally they will be removed within 30 days unless creditor can prove the account is younger. The other option is "pay for delete", which is where you offer to pay off account either in full or by settlement, if they agree to delete from your reports. If you go this method, get it in writing before paying. Please check out the articles here, they hold a wealth of information that can help you with rebuilding. Don't give up, there's light at the end of the tunnel, I promise. Best of luck. 

Results 1-2 of 2Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 1   Previous | Next

Your Credit Scores Should Be Free. And Now They Are.

View your scores and reports anytime.


Reply to this Question

Write your response:
Enter Your Comments

The Credit Advice pages of the Site may contain messages submitted by users over whom Credit Karma has no control. Credit Karma cannot guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of any such messages. Some users may post messages that are misleading, untrue or offensive. You must bear all risk associated with your use of the Credit Advice pages and should not rely on messages in making (or refraining from making) any specific financial or other decisions.