How to raise my credit score to buy a home
So my fiance and I just found out that I am expecting. I currently came into some money so my credit card balance was around 15,000 and I lowered it to 1,500. My available credit card balance is 16,550. I have three cars. Two of which will be paid off in about 6 months.

One of my more important questions was: I have four accounts that are in collections. They are all from medical bills. The hospital for some reason lost my insurance information and I kept contacting them when I kept getting bills and gave them my insurance information. I don't understand how it wasn't put on. I've since gone to the doctor and had no more billing problems. I have to go to the medical billing office in person this week to have them make a copy in front of me to fix all of these bills. Anyway, can the company that they sent my bills to collect have them taken off of my credit report and not just close them?

Additionally, I have two personal loans, one for 5,000 and the other for 4,000. I am working on paying them off as well and I have school loans that are about 16,000 so far and am paying the interest while I am in school.

My credit score is 580. How can I raise it? How much will it go up in about 6 months? How else can I help it?

Most Helpful Response

make sure all of the original creditors are paid in full via insurance. then, make sure they contact the collections agencies to report a paid in full balance. if they are unwilling to do this, you can get paid in full letters, and give them to the collection agencies yourself.  then start the dispute process. youll need all three of your credit reports, you can get them for free. next, keep your credit cards low, leave installment loans alone, just make the normal payments. i wouldn't pay them off, because chances are you'll need some cash to purchase the home. min payments on installment loans don't go ask a mark against you like carrying a high balance on a credit card do. if you get all of this accomplished in six months, get all the collections removed (not just howing paid) your scores should rebound nicely, like into high 600's low 700's assuming all accounts are paid as agreed (no late payments).  also keep in mind you'll need income to purchase a home. it sounds like your debt load is rather significant, and you're still in school. assuming your fiance has decent income, it still might be a challenge to squeeze a mortgage payment into your debt to income ratio. many mortgage approvals are automated these days, but most look for total debt to be under 50% of your gross income. so add up all your monthly debts, add in your anticipated mortgage, insurance, and taxes, and that number cann't exceed 50% of your income. the lower that DTI, the better the chances for approval. the higher, the less likely. some are sticklers for say a 42% ratio etc, but sometimes excellent credit can compensate if your DTI is a little off. 

The collections have the biggest impact and must be removed.  The medical office should be able to get them removed if they are willing to do so.  If not, Google whychat's HIPAA method and see if it will help.

Getting your revolving utilization down also helps.  If your balance was $15,000 with a $16,550 limit you were at 91% which is maxed.  Getting it down to a balance of $1,500 should help quite a bit since that's only 1%.  Never exceed 30% but keep in mind that 30% is far from ideal.  You want your revolving utilization as low as possible.

Paying off the loans won't really help your score but it will help your overall financial health.  Getting the balances on those loans down will help a bit but not as much as dropping revolving utilization on credit cards.  When you pay off the last of your installments you'll actually see a bit of a drop in score.