Question

barbadosslim

How to go about improving my 526 credit score?
Hi everybody.

They say that the first step to fixing a problem is admitting that you have a problem. I can admit that I have bad credit (526 score), and that I am at fault.

I was a real knucklehead for a while, and I ended up racking up a lot of bad credit cards and didn't pay bills. Student loans and medical bills have also piled up. Things went to collections and got charged off. It was my fault, and I admit that.

Now I am almost 30, and although I own a home, I got a new job about 100 miles away, and am going to need to try to purchase a new home. Unfortunately, I know that my horrible credit score will not help me out.

My question for you is: how can I go about rehabbing my credit score? I know there is a strategy here, and I want to know how you would go about fixing things.

Once I start my job, I will have an extra $1,500 per month to repay bills.

How should I go about this in order to get to the 620 cut off for a mortgage?

Thanks!

Most Helpful Response

You can look into getting a mortgage now with naca.com.  Non-profit group for mid to low income folks.  Credit scores don't matter, zero down, zero closing costs and 4% interest.  You can attend a free workshop in your area, just visit their website.

step one: clean up your report

Get copies of all 3 crdit reports, once a year for free at annualcreditreport.com.

create a budget and stick to it.  there is some great info on that on wiki-how. look it up.

Educate yourself on how to attack and get negitive items off your report.  You do that by reading up on it here on CK and other credit forums on line.  there are plenty of them.  once you have verified the accounts you owe, get them paid off as soon as possible,  there are stratigies for this as you will learn.  

once those are paid then start the rebuilding process,  you should have an easier time of it since you already have a mortgage, i.e. you have established credit so you should have less of a hassle creating new credit once things are cleaned up.

Good credit is eay once you have a clear understanding of how it works.