Question

mp7ski

How to get student loans in collections removed from credit report?
Well, I'm trying to help my girlfriend repair her credit score and the biggest hurdles are her student loans. She has 3 that have been in collections for a few years with no payments made since before it was in collectio s and they just took all of her $1000 federal tax refund. My plan is to call the collection agency and set up repayment plans on all three. My first question however is, if she makes 9-12 on time payments will it be rehabilitated and be pulled out of default and collections or is it past that point? Also, say we end up paying them in full or repay them with payments, when will they be removed from her credit report? I've read some threads about seven years from first delinquent payment or when it is paid off but I thought federal loans are different than other debt. It's just confusing and I'd like to know the quickest way to get it removed from her credit report. Thanks for any info.

Most Helpful Response

Student loans are one of those debts that will not just fall off the credit report after 7 years of non-payment because they have no statute of limitations nor can they be discharged in bankruptcy.  They must be paid in full and any alternative arrangements can only be made through the loan servicer.  Once they are paid in full (no matter how long that takes) they remain a part of one's credit history for 7 years past the final payment.