Question

Ronan71

How to get my score to 650
Current score of 479

I have a decent job, I have had some credit issues in the past. I need to get my credit score to 650. What can I do to do that? I have 4 accounts in collections, should I pay them all off, and then keep current on my current tradelines? How long will this take?

Do some reading on "pay for delete agreements" as the best case for you would be to get the collections removed rather than just marked as paid. Do some reading on the FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act) to see if any of the debt collectors are violating the law (this can be a way to get them removed). Yes, make sure that you have open accounts in good standing reporting in a positive way every month. How long will this take? It can take some time, so be realistic with your goals. It all really depends on how you do on getting collections removed. I also want to make you aware that your goal of 650 is probably a FICO 650 for whatever you are going for. You get Vantage scores here, not FICO. Also understand that the information on your reports is just as important as scores, so you want a robust profile if going for a major purchase. For example, even if scores meet requirements, if you only have a couple of store cards on your reports, approval for a major finance may not happen. If you truly want to take control of your credit you need to spend some serious time reading all aspects of it, there is a lot to know, a lot more than I can type into this post. Start studying right away, set an hour aside per day to study credit, within a couple of weeks you will have a much greater knowledge and will be heading in a great direction.

Same start, now 715

If you contact a creditor or collector and acknowledge the debt the time restarts for that particular debt to expire. Example, most have statue of limitations of 7 or 10 years, upon which the debt doesn't "disappear" but is removed from your credit report. Also, the longer things are on there they less effect they have on the actual score. If your item has been in there for 6.5 years, depending on the state laws, it may expire in 6 months... If you admit to the debt, it will reissue for another 7 years...

Look into credit repair law firms, from experience, they negotiate with any outstanding debts within the period. Once they complete, they basically scrub the report by challenging any remaining negative items. They also represent you if you are sued or the collection agencies contact you, acting as your attorney and requesting them to deal with them for any further contact.

Mine was by a monthly, affordable payment and they worked with me around any personal issues need for extra cash (skipping a payment). Any calls, i directed to them, they contacted me every account they closed and sent the confirmation from the lender for my records. Started 490, don't ask, now sitting at 715 and just starting the "scrub" process

Best of luck! Takes time, be persistent however you proceed! Mine took 1.5 years, but i wasn't in dyer need, depends on amount of debt and how much you can put toward it