Question

jac22514

How to find original creditor? *PLEASE HELP!!* :(
I owe money to Topco Financial Collections in Washington state, however they were run out of the state by the attorney general some time ago. Needless to say they are closed and unreachable.

I see this debt on my credit report and the information for Topco is very clear, however the original creditors information is vague and it's hard to discern who it is. This debt was from 6 years ago and I have NO CLUE who it could be, but I know that I was irresponsible then and it's almost guaranteed I owe this company money. I am desperately trying to figure out who the original creditor is, but to no avail. I want to pay this off and have it removed very badly. It's only $800.00 but I don't know where else to turn. I've exhausted my options. Please help.

How can I track down the original creditor?

You could dispute it with the bureaus. If the bureaus you dispute it with are unable to contact the collection agency, it'll get removed. **Or**, since it's at least 6 years old, you can wait it out until the 7th year and it goes away all by itself. 

Look up the Statute of Limitations for collections and find out what it is for your state since it does vary by state.  If the SOL on this debt has expired, don't worry about it.  It could show on your credit report for up to 7 years from the date of last payment, but it would remain uncollectable.  Check your credit reports (annualcreditreport.com) because all pertinent information will be shown on them.  While you may feel obligated to pay the debt, if the SOL has expired, you are not under any legal obligation, so relax.