Question

MichaelintheLBC

How should I respond to a Debt Validation Letter Response?
After checking my credit reports, I noticed an "In-Collection" account was reported. I had never been contacted by the company/ collector - but, they've been reporting that I am passed due. So, I sent a "Debt Verification/ Validation" letter to the address listed on my reports.

They have responded with a letter stating that they have "initiated a review of the inquiry." Which to me sounds like, they're looking for the information. I suppose that's fine - but they've provided me with no evidence that I even owe anything. In that same response letter there's a clause at the bottom that states "Unless you notify us within 30 days after receiving this notice that you dispute the validity of this debt, or any portion of it, we will assume this debt is valid".

I'm confused, I just sent them a letter asking to validate it, and they can somehow respond with a letter saying they're looking into it, but if I don't respond, they assume the debt is valid. Am I going to go in a back-and-forth, 30-day cycle?

I appreciate any advice and thank you for your time, in advance. Please, help.

Hey, anytime you are trying to validate debt; always do so with the credit bureaus. They would have asked the same thing you've just asked your creditors; in essence they would have had 30 days to provide them with proof or they will be removed from your credit file. This company is now trying a simple tactic of trying to force you to own this debt; probably because they don't have accurate info about you to legally collect the debt in the first place.... Good luck my friend..

MichaelintheLBC

Thank you for your response.  My intent was to do the debt validation first, then contact the credit bureaus with whatever case I may have built while contacting the collection agency.  It turns out, they have 30 days from the date of receipt.

Since they have not sent you any validation of debt, send them a notice that, until they can provide proper validation of debt, they cannot attempt any collection on that debt. And they have 20 days from the date they receive the letter to provide proper validation of the debt, or all collection attempts  must cease.

jwsister

Forgot to note, send the letter Certified, return receipt requested, keep copies on file (and copies of their communications) and keep the card that is sent back so you know the date your letter was received. This is keeping the needed evidence, just in case.

MichaelintheLBC

Thank you for your response(s).  I do believe it's 30 days, per FDCPA.  I was actually preparing a letter to do so, as you were recommending.  I appreciate your comments.

RESEARCH

I've been researching this issue further.  For reference (anybody with similar issues), please review the following link:

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/debt_validation.shtml

I've found this to be very useful for me.  Hopefully, it will do the same for you.  And more so, hopefully, I will have a positive update in the near future.

treboss287

Hi, any updates for your disputes? I'm currently going through the same thing. 

Certified letter sent no response

what is I sent a certified letter a creditor and they have not responded within the 30 days? should I send out another certified letter? I am not sure what the Florida rules and regulations state on creditors responding 2 certified mail.