Question

MrsCHargrove

How much info does debt collectors have to provide in debt validation letter
I have 2 bad markings on my credit from Midland credit on Verizon & T-Mobile accounts. The T-Mobile account is approx 6 years old & the Verizon account is approx 3 years old. I have disputed the accounts with Experian & have asked Midland for validation of the debt. How much information does Midland have to provide me with? They sent me a letter stating that I owed the 2 above & amount that needed to be collected. They told me that they do not have the original contracts that I signed. Can they still put this as bad markings on my credit?

Most Helpful Response

More than what they sent you.

Here is a great resource that I used to get some bad reporting off of my credit report.

"The collection agency must send you proof that it owns or has been assigned the debt by the original creditor. Verification that you owe the debt and the amount of the debt needs to include documentation from original creditor (you'll receive it from the debt collector, not the original creditor). It is not enough for the collection agency to simply send you a printout of the amount owed.

If the debt collector does not verify the debt within 30 days, it is not allowed to continue collecting the debt from you nor can it sue you or list the debt on your credit report. Should the debt collector list the debt on your credit report, you can dispute the debt with the credit bureau. Sending the credit bureau a copy of your debt validation letter along with the certified and return receipts will help get the account removed from your credit report."

http://credit.about.com/od/debtcollection/qt/debtvalidation.htm