Question

Posted in Site Suggestions

Martha3232

how do you negotiate with a collection law firm?
I have a judgement against me for $3745 and want to settle. I am trying to sell my rental property and have 2 liens agaist me and not enough equity to satisfy the liens. I think I made them mad by offering $500 what is a reasonable amount to offer 50%?

Reasonable is what you can pay as well as what they accept.  Your goal is to keep them from going to court so that the item does not appear as a collection or a public reference which would last 7 years on your credit report.  Going to court, they would probably be awarded the full amount along with attorney fees and court costs.   A negotiation is what you can afford to pay immediately.   I wouldn't offer then less than 50% myself although you should look to a higher amount.   They would probably be willing to discuss a payment schedule, although a payment schedule would probably be the full amount.

faidros

Correction:  If it has already gone to court and the judgement was again you for the $3745, you will find any negotiation if any will not be an easy task as they were already awarded by the court.  They can just file a wage attachment and get the full amount if you aren't timely in paying off the judgement.