Question

amandakorinn

how do i get something paid off with the original creditor (those i owe money to)
I have read of a few threads that the best way to pay off a debt is to go through the original creditor but I don't quite understand how it all works. I assume that this will break the contract with the debt collectors and this will pull it off my report (they are the only ones that have reported the debt to the credit report bureau). am i right? or should i follow a certain approach. its less than $400 and the only negative mark I have. I really need it to disappear and I'm ready to pay for it.

Once its in collections

the original creditor has sold the account so they have no legal right ot collect the debt any longer.  You have to deal with the collection agency. 

Google "Offer and comprimise" and "Pay to delete" for info on how to approach the collection agency to   A- Get the debt paid off and  B- get the negitive remarks removed from your report so that the account doesn't stay on your report for another 7 years.