Question

musicmaker5376

How do I get collectors to stop calling me about an account that isn't mine?
I've received about five calls over the past few years regarding an account that isn't mine. It doesn't show up on my credit report; I have no records of having the account; I never sent a check to anyone. Once one company realizes that they're wrong and I'm right, they sell the account to another company. Short of paying these people, how do I stop this from happening?

Most Helpful Response

Next time they call, tell them not to call you anymore or you'll report them to the FTC and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau for violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act - and I would also report them to those entities.  www.ftc.gov and www.consumerfinance.gov.  Tell them you only want to be contacted in writing with regards to the account.   If they continue to violate, then definitely contact FTC and CFPB, they have real teeth and can levy fines against the collection agency.