Question

roxago

How do I fix my credit on my own ?
i do not want to pay an agency to do it for me they are to expensive can I do it myself?

Most Helpful Response

YES!!

First thing to do is to make sure your credit report information is correct.  Go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of all 3 credit reports.  Look them over very carefully and file disputes on all errors with the credit bureau reporting same.  They have to investigate and either verify or delete the disputed entries.

Never pay bills late.  Send the payment in enough time that it will arrive before the due date.

Keep credit card usage at or below 20% so you can pay the balance in full when the statement arrives.  Pay ONLY the "Total Amount Due" as shown on the statement.  Only carry a balance if an emergency has come up and work to get it paid in full ASAP.

Use the Financial Tools on this site (Credit Simulator) to see what things you might be able to do to improve your credit score.  These tools are very good for determining the results of specific actions.

Pay any items in collections as soon as possible.  Be advised, though, that negative remarks on your credit score will remain for 7 years past the date of last activity (usually payment) and there is nothing that can change that sincse it is a federal law.  All the positive things you do will work best to help your credit score over time.

There are no quick fixes to improved credit.  I'm still working on mine, though it is good now, but I want it better.  Just have to be patient and do what needs to be done to keep the positives adding up.

You are smart to not want to go to a "Professional" credit repair company because they can't do anything better than you can yourself, they are expensive, and some are downright unethical.

Wish you the best.