Question

shalinz

How can I get a company to remove a hard inquiry
My wife was applying for credit and the company she is going through did 3 hard inquiries on her credit. They told her that only 1 hard inquiry was being done. My questions are:
1. Are they even allowed to do multiple hard inquiries without telling people?
2. Shouldn't they be able to have the hard inquiries removed from the credit reporting agencies?
3. If they can't would the credit reporting agencies remove them if a written explanation was sent to them informing them we did not authorize multiple hard inquiries from the same credit agency?

Most Helpful Response

1. Normally no, but it depends. When you apply for credit, you give consent to credit grantor to pull your credit report so that they can make a decision. Some company may have policy to pull 2 different credit reports or all 3. But pulling the same credit report several times is rare and usually applies to reconsideration only (initiated by you).

2. Most credit grantors can ask for inquiry removal, because they are the one who reported/made that inquiry on your credit report. I always call the company that made false item in my report first, if I fail, I then dispute the item directly with the bureau.

3. Yes. That is a direct dispute process with the credit bureau. You can take advantage of online/phone dispute (faster) before mailing. If you decide to call in any stage of the dispute (credit grantor or credit bureau), remember to note down name, ID, position, department of whoever you speak with as a record of your conversation. You will need that when you have to use the last resource of writing. If possible, ask for a reference number of your case.

Good luck!