Question

scorefiend

Enhanced Recovery collection
I called the collection agency Enhanced Recovery regarding an old AT&T bill. The bill kept showing up as an unpaid collection and then was recently removed.

I called ER and they confirmed that they had the debt and are due to report it within a week and a half. The lady promised that if I settled, the report simply won't be made as it doesn't currently show up. On the other hand, if it is showing up they will update it as PIF.
I really want to believe her and just pay though she nor her supervisor were willing to issue a letter that they won't report it. They kept citing the recorded conversations as sufficient evidence. Therefore I emailed their customer service as a means of verifying the deal and am waiting on hearing back.
Could anyone please tell me what I should do? Has anyone been in a similar situation? Do you think they will keep their promise and not report anything?

Most Helpful Response

Pay it and hope for the best. Think about it, what options do you have? They call the shots on this, not you. It is going to hit your credit reports soon if you do nothing, you have one opportunity to get this paid and avoid the collections hit, even if the rep did lie, what do you have to lose? It is typical for collections companies and creditors to not agree in writing to "pay for delete agreements" or anything along those lines. If you are that worried about them breaking the deal record the call on your end as well, verbal agreements will often hold up in court. I would pay this account asap, at least doing so will give a good chance that it won't be reported. Even if you pay it and they still report it, it will be reported for sure if you don't pay it.