Question

cdacc0914

Does a delinquent account clear after 7 years if I paid it off 4 year later?
So I owed $648 to a account that was closed due to delinquency. Will this clear up on the date I first missed my payment which was 2013-2020? Or will it start clearing up on 2016-2023 when I settled the payment. If its going to start on 2016 I'm going to be really ****ed and regret that I paid this off because it would of reset after 4 more years.

Most Helpful Response

The seven years starts with the DOFD (date of first delinquency) on the original account. This date is usually one month after you made the last payment on the original account when it was open. 2020 will be the removal year. The good news is that as negative accounts age, their damage subsides, there will be other things that you can do to build your credit. Do some reading on "goodwill letters" and removing negative accounts. There isn't a lot of hope there, but it is worth looking into. Some people have gotten lucky disputing old negative accounts and getting them removed, some have had luck writing goodwill letters and getting old negative accounts removed, just be sure to do thorough reading on these subjects as sometimes things can backfire and cause further damage.

cdacc0914

Thanks, I've tried disputing it and now it has a additional comment saying that I've tried to dispute it. I'll look into goodwill letters.

Was that account in collection or original creditor still has the debt, and who did you pay? What was the reason for disputing?

cdacc0914

The account was in collection and I paid the collection agency. I was disputing that the amount owed is not accurate because I paid less than that amount.