Question

JCMatteson

Do you legally have to send a DV letter before you dispute to a CRA?
I disputed an account on my credit report. The CA didn't respond to the dispute adequately or in time (I don't know which), and the account was pulled from my Trans Union report.

I waited 45 days and the account is still being listed on Equifax and Experian.

I called the CA and notified them that the dispute has closed and the account was removed and was told that they have "no record of any dispute from TransUnion at all, and that it wouldn't matter because I have to ask THEM for evidence first before disputing with the CRA's."

I have evidence that the dispute was initiated in the earlier part of November with TU, and that TU ended the dispute with the legal limit of days and pulled the info from my reports. Can they re-report once they've not validated in a timely or proper fashion?

I have read in many places the opposite.

So is there a legal responsibility to follow a process where they validate to me first before I am allowed to dispute the information?

Also, if I disputed and the information was removed from TU, can they continue reporting on the other CRA"s based on their defense of "We didn't receive a dispute" or (as another account collector said) "We received the dispute and sent the info back to TU the next day", even though that account was still deleted? (Which leads me to believe they didn't respond at all)?

Thanks.