Question

EMM1116

Do closed accounts that I am still paying affect my score?
I have a few accounts that were closed but still have balances that I am paying monthly. Do they still affect my credit score? Or because they are closed, are they not part of it? The reason I ask is that I am trying to get my score up and I wonder if I focus more on paying down the OPEN accounts, if that will more positively influence my score. Rather than maintaing a good history with closed ones. My goal, of course, it to pay all of them but I'm talking more about improving my score short term.

Closed accounts mean you can no longer use the accounts but must pay the balance.  They affect your score negatively, and that fact is covered in the articles on this site, which I advise taking the time to read since this information really helped me.  You really need to get the negatives cleared as quickly as possible in order for you 0to see any increase in your score.