Question

Scottshauna

Disputing a collection item
If I dispute an open account in collections, will it restart the 7 years that It takes to drop off my credit report? Time warner has reported an account that I had, which is scheduled to drop off my credit report in March of 2016. When I call time warner, they have no record of the account in their system when they try to look me up. Is it best to dispute this reporting or should I just wait it out, and hope it drops off as expected in 2016? When I call the collections agency, they can't tell me anything about it but the amount I owe and the date it was given to them with my time warner account number. But time warner can't find me in their system. Help!

But my question is, if I dispute it through the credit bureau and they side with the cable company, and validate that it is a valid past due account, will this restart my 7 year drop off date? I have read conflicting statements on this. 

i really did owe time Warner the money, but they can't findme in their systems.

That's why you are supposed to dispute it with the Credit Bureaus not the collection agency.  They will investigate for you and if they find any inaccuracies, it must be removed from your credit report...