Deletion for pay on credit report
On my report, Certegy is listed on there for me owing $35.00 since 2009. A credit company told me that I should call and see if they would do a pay for deletion, and if not, to not pay because it would stay on my credit another 5 or 7 years. What is the best way to do this? I don't know how this process works, what I should ask for, if an agreement is sent to me before I pay, or what?

Most Helpful Response

My two cents....

I owed a collector $800 after battling my insurance company about an ambulance service. Since I accepted my defeat, all that was left was to pay the bill. I was in collections for the bill so I called the collector. I was offered two options 1) settle the debt for $600 and keep the scar on my credit report or 2) pay the full $800 and get it removed. I opted for #2 as this is a HUGE negative and would show up as “settled” and not “paid in full” (a BIG difference) for 7 years……NOT! Keep in mind I began the discussion with “how can I get this debt removed from my credit score?” not, ”I’m calling to pay my debt”….By starting off the discussion this way, the collector understood what I wanted and immediately offered me options. Don’t be afraid to ask to speak with a supervisor as these requests must go through them anyway. These offices are rarely called by debtors looking to pay off debts so your proactive approach to calling them without them hounding you for payment shows good faith and will help your cause. Since your debt was a fraction of what I owed, you should have no trouble getting this $35 bill wiped from your credit report.

As for getting it in writing before getting them a payment, I’m pretty sure the collector will ask for the $35 payment first and only then will offer to send off a letter to you via mail to prove payment and confirm deletion. Get names and extensions of all you speak with. You have no reason to mistrust them so I would suggest you pay the $35 and confirm verbally with the office they will do this. Once the payment posts to your credit card, call the same person back at their extension. Explain that you see the payment has posted to your account and you are calling to confirm the letter will be mailed confirming the deletion. Ask them when the three credit bureaus will receive notice of this? To which they will likely respond 30-60 days. Hope this helps.

If unpaid, it will fall off your report 7 years from date it went delinquent.  If paid, it will stay on 7 years from date paid, unless you negotiate a Pay Per Delete with them in writing in advance.  A paid collection is slightly better than an unpaid collection.  Hope this helps!

In Writing no by phone

I completely disagree with negotiating on the phone. Always get things in writing first, don't pay in hopes of trusting a collection agency. Further, negotiate with the original debtor, they are the only one's who can remove the account from your credit reports.

If you trust a collection agency I've got nice lake front property for sale cheap in the Arizona desert. They have one purpose only, to collect the debt any way they can. Your credit report and credit score mean nothing to them.