Will closing a long standing checking account hurt my credit score?
How will it affect my credit score if I close my longstanding checking account at Bank of America, and reopen a new one at a smaller more local bank?

DuelleMarley

Best Response Chosen by   Profile Image DuelleMarley

Bank accounts normally go through the ChexSystems and not via the credit bureaus. The only way the closure could affect your credit score is if you have overdraft protection or a line of credit associated with your bank account. If you do, then this would be treated like the closing of an old credit account and most likely reduce your credit score.

As background, the ChexSystems was created by US banks and credit unions to aid themselves in identifying account applicants who have a history abusing checking accounts. You can be reported to ChexSystems for the following reasons:

* The bank was unable to collect for an overdraft, ATM transaction, or automatic payment which they honored on insufficient funds

* Multiple overdrafts

* Savings account, debit card or ATM abuse

* Providing false information in opening account or Fraud

If you are reported to ChexSytems you can expect that infraction to remain on your file for 5 years. In many cases, banks may not allow you to open a checking account if you have one more reports in ChexSystems, so like poor credit don't fall into this trap.

Response by
chuyskywalke

Most Helpful Response

* Multiple overdrafts

Response by
chuyskywalke

Is there a way of checking one's record with ChexSystems?

Response by
Tiferess

I have cancelled the Overdraft coverage I once had with my checking acct.   If I now close my checking acct. will that negatively affect my credit score?

Response by
casimir59

how long it will take to improved my credit score?

Response by
cookoon

It really varies. Read some of the articles and try our credit simulator.

Review by
CK Moderator

I have a checking account that has a negative balance because very high overdraft fees. I have paid the debit, but I have no plans to pay the high fee. The bank said they will turn it over to a bill collector. Will this effect my credit report?

Response by
tonyharris91

Simply put. Yes.

Review by
CK Moderator

If they send it bill collector, this would be huge loss to your credit score. Until u pay full amount, it wiull be with bill collector and will be recorded in credit history. once it goes to bill collector, even t hough you clear payments from bil lcolletor, this will still appear in you history saying it went to bill collector.

kbharathi7881

Submit to the Community