Charged off Credit Card Sent to Collections but Isn't on Credit Report? What Should I Do?
A little less than 2 years ago, I was going through a rough time and stopped paying my credit card bill. It was my one and only open credit card. At first, I received tons of calls from the creditor but I ignored them. Eventually, they closed my account and charged it off. I got calls and letters from a collection agency after that, but I ignored all those too. I moved last year and I think they couldn't find me anymore and so they stopped contacting me all together. The debt was always at the back of my mind but I was really irresponsible and in denial of its existence, so I tried to ignore it. It was for over $5k.

Recently, I became concerned about my future and decided to check my credit report. As expected, it listed that account as charged off. However, my credit report doesn't mention that it was passed onto a collection agency. I called the original creditor and they gave me the name of the collection agency to whom they passed on the debt. I'm worried that if I call them and make this an issue, then the collection agency WILL show up on my report. I actually can't afford to pay back this debt now but I really do intend on it. (I can only pay about 20% of it right now.) I'm also worried about my credit score going even lower. What should I do? If I pay off the collection agency, does the information from the original creditors get updated as paid?

Do not call first !

Do not call them first. Then it will definitely show up on your report and reset the clock on the acct.. meaning that they will have 7 more years to collect and harass you. 

My first thought is to "validate" the collection agencies acct. but since they aren't harassing you I don't know if that would be wise. 

My second thought is to save up enough. Maybe 50% of what you owe. Then do an Offer and compromise.  Offering to pay a lump sum to pay the acct in full   

Never send them any money until you have an agreement in writing. 

Do some research  check out They have lots of advice and form letters etc to deal with this kind of issue.   

If you want to fix your credit. Do your home work and follow through. It's your credit. You have to take care of it.