Can someone explain why I have to put myself in debit to get a credit score?
I can not understand why I have to put myself in debit in order to raise my credit score. I have taken out a few loans in the past 10 years for school, and different vehicles in which I paid them all off in a short amount of time by working a lot of overtime and making double payments. I never had a credit card because if I can't afford to buy something with cash, how can I afford fees on top of the initial cost. Now that I was looking for a small loan for some automotive repairs from getting hit in my car, I'm denied a loan for the first time due to not having enough debit. My banks loan officer was shocked because I have been instantly approved multiple times in the past, always made payments on time, and have over 1/2 the amount of the loan amount I wanted to get in my account.

So even though I do not believe in credit cards, and hate the thought of having one, I applied for several different cards in which I was turned down by all but one (capital one) for lack of credit history. How is it that if I have to create debit with a stupid piece of plastic, why is it so difficult to get myself into debit?

Should I skip payments to increase my debit

Should I go on a spending spree and max it out just to show I can pay it off within 2-3 months?

Can anyone explain why people who can comfortability support themselves and pay their bills before they are due without plastic, are penalized with poor ratings?

Most Helpful Response

Pay your bills as you agreed...

Your credit report/credit scores are not meant to show your ability to pay a debt.  Rather a credit score is a number meant to show how likely you are to default on the agreed terms of a debt based on your past payment history.  It simply determines the amount of risk you present to the lender if they do decide to lend to you based on your reported past payment history.  If you have little or no payment history showing, lenders are taking a gamble on assessing your risk level as a borrower.  Think of it in terms of who you would rather invest you money into, your brother?  Or a friend of your brother of whom you barely know; you would certainly want a few questions answered first.

So regardless of how you come up with the money to pay your debts, your credit reports are showing the rest of the lending world that you have reporting accounts in your name and you show a history of either making sure your payments are made on time or missed.  Giving lenders an idea of what you may do if they loan to you as well.

That's the point of credit, to show you do make payments as agreed…. Not if you have the ability to pay them.

So to have it, you need to show you know how to use it responsibly.  And if you do have it, keep it open, because open accounts are like wine to your credit reports, the older it is, the better it is.  Which is why you want a credit card that doesn’t close at the end of a set number of months like an auto loan.  Lots of people have a secured credit card in their wallets and on their credit reports, even after they qualify for other, better, unsecured cards (some even pay an annual fee to keep the card open). 

The reason people do this is because they know they still get credit for having the accounts open and reporting positive monthly activity.  That kind of reporting only makes their credit go up the older the account becomes.  Even if that bank doesn’t offer them a better unsecured card, they can still take the positive credit history of that secured card to another bank to demonstrate to the creditor that they are already a good credit risk and apply for more credit there. 

Since you say you like to pay in cash, I suggest applying for an unsecured cash rewards card with a low annual fee.  (I know Capital One has a pretty good, low-score, cash rewards card called the Capital One Quicksilver One Card.)  That way you can still pay your bills that you would normally pay each month and get cash back for doing it through the cash rewards card.  In some cases people get their entire annual fee back in rewards simply for paying off items they are buying with cash anyways.  It’s like having a free card in the wallets that actually pays them back for simply funneling money through them.  All of this reports a positive credit history to other lenders and improves your chances to getting more credit for other things you are now finding that your evolving needs have changed to. 

I hope this helps, if it does, thumbs up please.

You're missing the point. You don't want to put yourself in debt; you just need available credit. 

I  use reward credit cards to pay most of my monthly expenses, but pay the credit cards off when I get paid before the end of the statement date,  before interest accrues.  Don't go on a spending spree, and make all payments on time. Use no more than 10% of your available credit.  Creditors want to see that you're able to handle credit responsibly.