Question

reticularformation

Can not paying first health insurance premium harm credit score?
If you haven't sought treatment under the health insurance plan, but it has been canceled for non-payment of the first premium, can it harm your credit score?

Details: I called the healthcare marketplace and it took over 2 hours to apply for a health insurance plan (I actually wanted to set it up online, but the telephone operator started setting it up, so I thought "might as well"). In the meantime, I had another important phone call (who woulda thunk it?) and I tried to be polite but had to hang up. Afterwards, I checked whether the application went through online (I thought this was more than 3 days later, but my memory might be foggy). It seemed to not have gone through, so I applied for health insurance through another company. I just used health insurance from the other company and the first company never even contacted me. Now, about 1.5 months later, they send me a stern letter warning me that my plan will be canceled if I don't pay. I called the health insurance company and the first operator tells me it won't harm my credit score, then forwards me to someone else who says she doesn't know and I need to talk to someone from the exchange marketplace. About an hour later, I get in contact with someone from the exchange marketplace and she tells me that they can't tell me whether it will harm my credit score, it's the company that decides these things. Well, they didn't ever activate my health insurance, since I didn't pay the first premium, so how can they send me to collections for failing to pay for nothing?

Probably not.

If the plan was canceled because of non payment, most likely not. Unless they send your account to collections over that initial month's payment, Which i doubt they would, no one would report the account.  They would contact you demanding payment long before that ever happened.

The fact that you did not use any services is in your favor. They would lose in court if they tried to sue over it (Thats the standard to go by in such things)      and that would cost them a lot more than its worth.