Question

JaieBee

Can I reopen a closed CC after non payments?
Hello,

I have three credit cards that have been closed by the lender due to non payment after I hit some financial woes. I am currently in the process of paying them off, but wanted to know if it were possible to reopen a card after a lender closed it? (I would only want to open one back to try to build my credit). If not, is there a card I could get to make on time payments while paying off my current cards to build up my score? Thanks in advance!

Usually not. Work as hard as you can to get these paid off so they do not become Charge offs on your credit reports and that would also add collections in addition to the charge offs. Getting these taken care of should be your only goal at this point. Once that is done and only after that is done, get yourself a Secured credit card if you are unable to get an unsecured. You could check the preapprovals on different credit card company websites. If you did want to reopen on of these cards you speak of, you could ask the credit card company if they would do it, but I kind of doubt it, but it does not hurt to ask. As I said, make sure that all of these cards are paid off before proceeding.