Can I rent a nice apartment with a Poor to Fair credit score?
I'm planning on moving to a new apartment soon to downsize the rent cost. My rent to resign for another year at my current location increased $60/month and I'd like to downsize to save and lower my overall debt. However, I've lived in the current location fort awhile since I'm afraid that other places may turn me away due to my low credit score. My current score is 655, but is showing as 635 on another website so I'm considering that this could show up when apartments look as well. Has anyone had difficulty renting due to a low credit score?

I have all on time payments, however I do have an electricity delinquency that is now resolved but unfortunately still shows up on my score. This is the typical stupid ex boyfriend story, it's embarrassing to admit. It was now 4 years ago and I have 3 years of on time payments at my current apartment. Does anyone know if I'll have trouble renting?

Most Helpful Response

They Look at Credit Report NOT Score

Apartment managment companies pull your credit report to see your overall debt and see how much debt you have in relation to your income. They are looking that your carried debt obligations doesn't exceed 30-35% of your income.  Anything higher will most likely be reason for them to require a higher Security Deposit.

You shouldn't be afraid to try! Its wost to be stuck than to have a clear course of action.

And some management companies have their own criteria for tenants which are often more liberal than a credit report.  Besides the debt issue, they may check with your current landlord/manager to see if you've been late with rent, destructive, had lots of police calls to your place, etc.  You shouldn't have a problem getting into a different place with your reported history.

What happens if you did not renew your lease where you are still living at and you apply for another apt and you have an apt that is on  your credit report I am trying to get it remove but now I am trying to apply someone where else should I tell them that I owe another apt or not and do I tell them where I am at now I owe them this month still and by next I want to leave.