Question

Rknighton2005

can a collection company sell my past due account to another agency and that agency change open date
can a collection company sell my past due accounts to another agency and that agency change my open date? its happened to me. I have some medical accounts that are not paid. the hospital couldn't collect, so that's date #1. it was picked up by a collection agency. that's another open date. now another agency has it with a newer date #3. that's 3 different dates. would have fallen off next year. now its will be 3 more years. this cant be legal.
I know I should have paid but I was unemployed and was a large hospital bill.

As long as you did not make an agreement with any of them (including the original creditor) and you did not make any payments after the "last acitivity date", then it will still fall off next year (i assuming it would be 7 years with none of the above acitivity).

The 3rd party companies are notoriuus for putting in newer dates, in part, as a way to have people call them to dispute - they would love to talk to you. But, the original date is what counts as long as the things i outlined above have not taken place.