Question

soughtseven

Being sued by Kirkland Law Group. They told me I owe on a debt that was from 2009, over 4 years ago?
So I got a phone call today claiming that I am being sued by Capital One for a debt that has $1780 on the account. My last payment was received back in 2009, and it's been 4 years since then. They can't legally sue me now can they?

The person told me that I should be home around 4pm because someone with a letter for judgment will be coming then. I said I need more information about this debt. They gave me a bogus number and when I asked them about their law group, they held their breath and said it so I couldn't hear it well. I believe it was Kirkland Law Group. They are based in Washington, and I am from Pennsylvania. They have to be based in my state right?

Is this just a scam or what? I talked to a lawyer and he said they wouldn't call, they'd just show up. He also looked for any cases against my name and couldn't find any.

Most Helpful Response

The statute of limitations in PA is 4 years, so they are blowing smoke up your tailpipe. You should visit the FTC website and file a complaint, because it sounds like they are violating FDCPA.

not if past SOL

The Sol in PA is 4 years so check the date of 1st delinquency on the cap one account - if it is 4 years or more since that date then they can not sue.  Check the court records for your county seat and make sure they have not already obtained a judgment against you. 

This is one tactic that some collection agencies use to scare you - have you received anything in writing from them - by law they are required to send a collection letter to you within 30 days of initial contact or they are in violation - you need to dispute this debt, etc.

sol's

What is the sol for california?