Question

Louloui

Being sued by creditor
I'm being sued by a debt collector that purchased my Credit one account. What should I do?

This is just a general advices and not legal advice as I am not a attorney.... Few things here...

-

First, you need to determine if you are actually being sued, some collection agencies are known to send out fake notices that look like an summon. Most times you can search it on-line with the case/docket numbers or do it in person at where the lawsuit being filed.

-

Second, you need to determine if it's been filed probably, is it still with-in your State's Statute Of Limitations, is the plaintiff/collection agencies have or needs license in your State...ects. Again, some CAs are known to file lawsuits way past the SOL, hoping people are too afraid to show up and getting an default judgment against them. You can research the court procedures in your jurisdictions.

-

Third, do you have any legitimate defense(s) against the lawsuit, and able to show the evidences in court? If not, at that point, I would probably contact CA, try to settle it before going to court. You probably end up paying anyways, little reason to incuring more fees/interest with possible wage garnishment/levy your bank accounts and on top of all that, have a judgement on your record, tho judgement stay on your credit report for 7 years but since it's a public record, it might not be purged by recorder's office, I still have an public record from mid 90s that can be seen by anyone who search for it. 

-

I am sure there few other things or ways to consider, so research it as much as possible. Consulting with a law professionals are always a good idea. Best of luck.