Question

Lostguy985

Advice on an outdated account dispute letter
I have an old cell phone bill in collections that first went past due in 2008. I was ready for it to fall off my credit report but I just pulled my credit report and see they have a new open date as 2012. Obviously this is wrong and I am going to dispute this. I imagine it was the collection people that changed this date. My question is how do I word this? If I put outdated I assume anyone at the CB will just check the date and move on. Please help. Thanks

Most Helpful Response

Are you sure that you are reading it right? It is possible that the account changed hands in 2012 and the current holder of the account bought it in 2012. Double check that. If you find out that they reaged the account then they have violated the law and you should contact a consumer law attorney that deals with FDCPA matters and sue the crooked collection company. My guess would be that the current collector bought the account in 2012, but you never know. To avoid a lot of confusion, contact the credit bureaus and ask them when this account is due to fall off of your reports, if they tell you this year, then you know it hasn't been reaged (and if that is the case ask for an early exclusion on the account). If they tell you it will remain on your reports until 2019, then you know that they reaged the account.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Do some reading on the following as it may be helpful to you: FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act), Early Exclusion and information about accounts changing hands and open dates changing.

Lostguy985

I'm guessing that is what happened. That the date on the collection is the date a new collection agency acquired the debt. Interesting that only EX and TU are reporting it and EQ is not. Should my report show the OC open date on the collection?  Your help is awesome, any further info would be appreciated. Thanks