Question

Daywalker78

A collection agency took my 1 unpaid debt and split it into 2 amounts
I have an unpaid balance from an apartment complex. The sent me a total amount due. After it went to collections, it is listed as 2 separate accounts totaling the original debt. Can they do this? Seems punitive.

Doesn't sound right to me. Do some reading on the FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act) and consult with a consumer law attorney that handles FDCPA cases in your state. Kimmel & Silverman is a good firm if they practice in your state.