Question

Tommy760

7 year old released CA tax lien not falling off like I thought. Advice?
Well I'm a bit bummed I was expecting this month my released CA tax lien was going to fall off my credit report as Nov 10th marked 7 years from the date it was filed, yet it wasn't.

My memory is fuzzy but I thought the last time I did my free 3 bureau credit report I saw it mention the fall off date was the end of this year. Searching Google just now it looks like maybe 3 more years before it falls off.

At least it's in the "released" status, but still ugly on my report. Any input on how bad the item is on my credit report if that's the only negative item? My score is around 650 now and I wonder if for instance removal might bump it up to 700?

No idea my chances, but I'm curious to try and see if the county/state will remove the item for me if I write a letter. I've struggled so much such as being homeless in a van for a lot of this year and removing this last negative item on my report could help me get back on my feat and catch up on all my taxes + life in general. I can make a pretty bold case how I was super screwed over by the system while trying to be noble sacrificing to help others so maybe with some luck they will remove it.

Any tips how to pursue this?

Thanks

Tax liens generally don't drop off by themselves, because the agencies don't report. The credit bureaus actively seek out and report lien information.

Contact all three credit reporting bureaus and dispute it. This can be performed online. You can also type in a search engine; how to remove a state lien. IRS and state liens are handled differently, and procedures vary state to state.