Question

Angee12345

2 collection agencies for the same debt
I have an old debt I would like to pay to get it off my credit report. It has been reported by 2 different collection agencies. Surely you don't have to pay both agencies, but how do you know which one is the right one to pay?

Before you do anything, do some reading on PAY FOR DELETE AGREEMENTS. You want to get the collection removed and not just marked as paid. It is not allowed to have two collection companies reporting the same debt. Usually it is the most recently dated collection company that currently holds the account. I would dispute them both with the credit bureaus since you are being double dinged in an illegal way. Do some reading on all of this before you proceed, if you have any questions just ask.

Start with a Validation Letter

Google it for a template. 

Whats happened is that the account has been sold to another collection agency but the old one still appears on your report.  Send Validation letters to both, Legally only one has the right to collect. The one that isn't will automaticly be removed if they no longer can collect. And Chances are that the second may not have all the legal paperwork and they would have to remove the account as well.  You may just luck out and not have to pay either. 

If one of them does end up with legal right to collect, then deal with only that one. Thats when you can do an Offer and Compromise, Pay to remove or work out a payment plan. 

my problem is similiar but different

I owed a emergency room doctor bill. paid it in 2013 to a united collection bure. for 85.10. now have another agency 3 years later trying to collected same dept for 84.90 its name is dept recovery. it was paided bye master card. got what was paid but not what for on my statement. are dept collectors required to release information what money was received for when asked. And how can another company try to collect on a dept thats been paid 3 years after the fact?