Question

Posted in Taxes

prepaid

1099c insolvency, assets vs liabilities, statute of limitation
I receive from the same debtor, two 1099c (canceled debt) forms, (from the same debtor) both dated Dec 31, 2016. (According to an old credit report I have on hand saved since year 2012), it shows one debit was charged off and reported on Sept 2012, And the other one Oct 2012.
My present report does not shows any accounts on collection, but been removed from collection due to seven year limitation.
1- Am I still liable to report that income on my tax returned 2016, even though its passes the 36 month, but debtor reported after 48 month as canceled debt?

2- Does the cancelled debt reporting should follow the rules of “statute of limitation” when debtor send 1099c form to the IRS?

3- If I am reliable to report this income, does other cancelled debt by other debtors (the removed accounts from collection mentioned above), will count as liabilities against my asset when I fill up the insolvency debt cancellation form 982 /along with insolvency worksheet?

4- Does the IRS count the paid off living home as part of my assets even though the house in my wife name? Also, I am a disable and receive a monthly disability supplements.

This question would be best for an accountant.

Ask a certified tax consultant who is also an enrolled agent.  They have all them IRS rules and can help. I was trained as a tax preparer and have associated with two brilliant tax consultants.