We think it's important for you to understand how we make money. It's pretty simple, actually. The offers for financial products you see on our platform come from companies who pay us. The money we make helps us give you access to free credit scores and reports and helps us create our other great tools and educational materials.
Compensation may factor into how and where products appear on our platform (and in what order). But since we generally make money when you find an offer you like and get, we try to show you offers we think are a good match for you. That's why we provide features like your Approval Odds and savings estimates.
Of course, the offers on our platform don't represent all financial products out there, but our goal is to show you as many great options as we can.
|Small loan amounts available||Very high interest rates|
|No collateral required||May face a late fee|
|Payments due weekly or biweekly|
What you need to know about a Helix loan
Helix is the lending arm of Kendall Bank, which based in Overland Park, Kansas. The lender offers unsecured personal loans that don’t require collateral.
Helix says its loans are for emergency expenses and markets them to people with “less-than-ideal credit.” Its small loans range from $200 to $4,000 with terms of up to 24 months.
Very high interest rates
While you might be able to get approved for a Helix personal loan with bad credit, you’ll likely pay a very high interest rate. Even Helix’s lowest rates are high — and its upper rates go well into the triple digits, even exceeding the APRs of a typical payday loan.
Let’s put that in perspective. Say you borrow $1,000 with an APR of 199% that you’ll pay off over 12 months. When all is said and done, you will have paid nearly $2,400 back to Helix — much more than twice the amount you borrowed.
Keep in mind that Helix doesn’t charge a prepayment penalty, so you should pay off your loan early if at all possible to avoid more interest charges.
Payments due weekly or biweekly
To repay a Helix loan, you’ll usually have to make payments weekly or biweekly. This may cause cash flow issues for your budget, especially if you prefer a monthly payment option.
Fast funding possible
If you sign your loan agreement by 11 a.m. Central time on a business day, Helix says you may be able to get your money the same day. And you may get your funds the next business day if you sign your loan agreement after 11 a.m. Central time. But exact timing will depend on your bank.
A closer look at Helix personal loans
If you’re considering a Helix personal loan, here are a few more details to think about.
- May help build credit — Helix says that it reports payment history to at least one of the major credit bureaus. This can help you build your credit, as long as you make payments on time and in full. But late or missed payments may hurt your credit, so don’t take out a Helix loan if you aren’t confident you can make payments on time.
- Not available in all states — Helix loans are offered in only 40 states, so they may not be an option for you.
- May face a late fee — If you miss a payment, Helix may charge you a late fee. Multiple late fees can add up and increase the overall cost of your loan. Helix doesn’t tell you upfront what the charge is, though — you won’t know unless you get a loan agreement to sign.
Who is a Helix loan good for?
Helix loans are very expensive — its interest rates are much higher compared to other lenders’ rates and average personal loan rates. Explore every other option before applying for a Helix loan.
For example, you may want to use an existing credit card, ask for help from a family member or apply for a lower-cost payday alternative loan from a federal credit union.
Even a cash advance from popular apps like Dave or Earnin probably makes more sense, depending on how much you need to borrow.
If you decide to go with a Helix loan, do your best to avoid late payments and repay your loan early if at all possible.
How to apply with Helix
You can apply for a Helix personal loan online in a few minutes. Once you do, you may receive a decision instantly. Once you submit your application, Helix will perform a credit check via Clarity Services, which is owned by Experian.
If approved, you can review and finalize your loan agreement. You may be able to get your money as soon as the same day or the next business day. (Just remember that the exact timing typically depends on your bank.)
Not sure if Helix is right for you? Consider these alternatives.
- Avant personal loan: If you need to borrow more money than Helix offers, Avant may be a good choice.
- Brigit: Brigit may make sense if you want a small-dollar advance on your paycheck and prefer to pay a monthly fee instead of interest.