We think it's important for you to understand how we make money. It's pretty simple, actually. The offers for financial products you see on our platform come from companies who pay us. The money we make helps us give you access to free credit scores and reports and helps us create our other great tools and educational materials.
Compensation may factor into how and where products appear on our platform (and in what order). But since we generally make money when you find an offer you like and get, we try to show you offers we think are a good match for you. That's why we provide features like your Approval Odds and savings estimates.
Of course, the offers on our platform don't represent all financial products out there, but our goal is to show you as many great options as we can.
Some of the coverage options or discounts listed in this article may not be available in your state. Check with the insurance company to find out what’s available to you.
Considers drivers with less-than-perfect driving records
Higher-than-usual number of customer complaints compared to peers
Available in most states
Basic coverage options
Flexible payment options
Discounts may be limited
What you need to know about The General auto insurance
The General is a subsidiary of PGC Holdings Corp., which is an affiliate of American Family Insurance. Based in Nashville, Tennessee, The General has been selling car insurance in the U.S. since 1963. The General doesn’t offer other types of insurance directly, but you can buy term life insurance through its affiliate, American Family Insurance.
Considers high-risk drivers
The General considers insuring drivers that other insurers may not be willing to work with. The company says it accepts most drivers even if they have a history of accidents or other driving violations, poor credit or lapsed insurance coverage. If you’re required to file a SR-22 form as proof of insurance, The General can file it for you in most states — for a fee. But depending on where you live, you may be required to file the form directly with your state’s transportation agency.
Higher ratio of customer complaints compared to peers
Not all customers are happy with their experience with The General. The company’s number of customer complaints in 2019 was higher than usual for insurance companies of its size in the market, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Basic coverage options
The General offers the basic insurance coverage that you’d expect to find from an auto insurer, including liability, medical payments, uninsured motorist, comprehensive and collision coverage. It also offers coverage such as rental car reimbursement, towing and roadside assistance. Coverage options vary, so check with The General to find out what it offers in your state.
Discounts may be limited
The company offers discounts to qualified drivers, including multi-car, military, policy-renewal and homeowner discounts. In some states, there’s also a double deductible discount. If you opt for this offer, you’ll receive a discount in exchange for your comprehensive or collision deductibles being doubled during the first 45 days of your policy. Just keep in mind that The General’s discounts vary by state and may be limited where you live.
A closer look at The General auto insurance
If you need to buy car insurance, here are some additional details to know about The General.
- Widely available — The General offers insurance in most states. And in states where it doesn’t offer coverage, the company partners with other insurance companies to help you get the coverage you need.
- Claims — You can report a new claim or check on the status of an existing claim by phone or through the mobile app. If you use the app to report a claim, you can upload photos and document any damage your vehicle sustained.
- Mobile app — You can make payments and access digital ID cards as well as policy, billing and claims information through The General’s mobile app.
- Flexible payment options — In most states, you can set up monthly payment plans after making an initial down payment. The General accepts payments in person, by mail, phone, online and through the mobile app. You can pay with cash, credit card, check, electronic check (in some states), or set up automatic debit payments from a checking account. The General also has multiple, split and scheduled payment options.
Is The General auto insurance the right fit for you?
The General car insurance might be a good fit for someone who has a history of accidents or other moving violations, lapsed insurance coverage or poor credit.
Because The General specializes in working with high-risk drivers, this company’s probably not your best bet if you have a good driving record.
How to get an auto insurance quote from The General
The General auto insurance is available in all states except Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, and Washington, D.C. You can get an online quote at The General’s website, over the phone or in person from an agent.
Your initial quote will be for the minimum amount of coverage required by your state. But you may be able to add additional coverage options or increase coverage limits after you receive the initial quote.
Many factors influence how much you’ll pay for car insurance. If you have a spotty driving record, poor credit or lapsed coverage, your rates will likely be higher than someone with a clean driving record who has good credit and continuous coverage. That’s why it’s important to get quotes from a few different companies and compare offers before you purchase a policy to help ensure you get the best rates and coverage you can for your needs.Learn more: How to compare car insurance rates
Not sure if an auto insurance policy from The General is right for you? Consider these alternatives.
If you’re shopping for auto insurance and you’re not sure The General is right for you, here are a couple of other car insurance companies to consider.
- Direct Auto Insurance: Direct could be good if you’re a high-risk driver who qualifies for some of the company’s many insurance discounts.
- Allstate auto insurance: Allstate may be ideal if you’re a safe driver and want to be recognized with discounts and rewards.