Editors’ take: Say auto insurance could be good for those in select states looking for basic state minimum coverage. Those looking for hefty discounts or unique coverage options may want to look elsewhere.
Say auto insurance at a glance
Available in CO, IL, IN, KS, MO, TN
J.D. Power customer satisfaction ratings
Number of complaints in 2021
How to get an insurance quote
Online or over the phone
How to submit a claim
Online, over the phone or in the mobile app
- Shares insurance scores with policyholders to provide a better understanding of how auto insurance rates are calculated
- Includes roadside assistance in all policies
- Provides loyalty discounts to policyholders at renewal
- Only available in six states — CO, IL, IN, KS, MO, TN
- Limited discounts
- Offers only basic coverage options
- Doesn’t cover high-risk drivers who need SR-22 forms
What you need to know about Say auto insurance
Founded in 2016, Say is an online-only subsidiary of Shelter Insurance® that offers auto insurance to residents in six states, including Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Missouri and Tennessee. The company provides coverage for most cars, trucks and SUVs but doesn’t insure motorcycles, classic cars, certain luxury vehicles, commercial vehicles or cars that have been modified for racing.
Say only offers auto insurance, so if you’re looking to bundle multiple types of coverage, you may need to look elsewhere.
Provides insurance scores to policyholders
Credit-based insurance scores are among the rating factors insurers use to help predict how likely you are to file a claim. If all other criteria are equal, policyholders with higher scores typically qualify for lower rates. Insurance companies don’t usually provide this information to applicants unless they ask.
Say shares insurance scores with policyholders to help them better understand how their finances may affect their scores and how those scores may affect their insurance premium.
Policyholders can qualify for customer loyalty discounts at renewal
Say renews policies every six months. When a policy is up for renewal, the company adds 50 points to an insurance score to create a “Say score” — and uses it to determine your premium for the next six months. Every time your policy is up for renewal, the company adds 50 more points.
For example: If your insurance score is 750 and you’re renewing your policy for the second time, Say will add 100 points to your insurance score to give you a Say score of 850. The higher your score, the more you could save. According to Say, every 50 points the company adds to your score saves consumers an average of 4% on premiums.
Offers only basic auto insurance coverages
Say offers basic coverage options, including liability and property damage coverage, medical payments, rental car reimbursement and roadside assistance. If you’re looking for specialty coverage policies, such as gap, classic car or custom equipment, you may need to work with a different insurance company.
Auto coverage offered by Say
Say offers standard coverage options, but don’t provide less-common types of coverage you may find at other insurers. Say offers coverages such as:
- Medical payments
- New car replacement coverage — Get reimbursed for the replacement cost — not the actual cash value — of your qualifying vehicle if it’s totaled in a covered incident when you include collision or comprehensive coverage with your policy
- Rental car reimbursement
- Uninsured motorist liability
- Uninsured motorist property damage
- Roadside assistance – Say includes 24/7 roadside help in all policies at no extra cost
Auto insurance discounts offered by Say
Say provides fewer opportunities to save than other insurers. They offer a handful of basic discounts, but they’re missing common options, such as usage-based, good student and safe driver discounts. Some discount opportunities with Say include:
- Pay in full
- Continuous insurance
- Advance purchase — Save when you buy coverage at least seven days before the effective date of your Say insurance policy
- Defensive driving course — This discount is available to drivers who complete an approved defensive driving class. (Note that this discount isn’t available in Missouri.)
Common question: How is your insurance score calculated?
Information from your credit report—including your payment history, credit utilization and mix of accounts—is used to calculate your insurance score. This is the same data used to calculate traditional credit scores, weighted differently. Insurance companies can’t deny you coverage based solely on your insurance score, but your score can affect your rate.
Common question: How do I get a quote for Say?
If you live in one of the states where they provide coverage, you can get a quote for Say auto insurance online through the company’s website or by speaking to one of their agents.
Not sure if Say auto insurance is right for you? Consider these alternatives
- The General: Auto insurance from this company may be ideal for high-risk drivers who need to file an SR-22 form with the state.
- Allstate: This insurance company could be a good fit if you want to bundle home and auto insurance.