We think it's important for you to understand how we make money. It's pretty simple, actually. The offers for financial products you see on our platform come from companies who pay us. The money we make helps us give you access to free credit scores and reports and helps us create our other great tools and educational materials.
Compensation may factor into how and where products appear on our platform (and in what order). But since we generally make money when you find an offer you like and get, we try to show you offers we think are a good match for you. That's why we provide features like your Approval Odds and savings estimates.
Of course, the offers on our platform don't represent all financial products out there, but our goal is to show you as many great options as we can.
Some of the coverage options or discounts listed in this article may not be available in your state. Check with the insurance company to find out what’s available to you.
Less than average number of customer complaints
Average customer satisfaction scores
Name Your Price tool helps you stick to your budget
Coverage and discounts vary by state
Ability to earn discounts based on your driving habits
What you need to know about Progressive auto insurance
Perhaps best known for its ad campaigns starring Flo, Progressive is one of the largest personal auto insurers in the U.S., with a network of tens of thousands of local insurance agents and brokers. The company offers a range of other insurance products, including renters, homeowners and condo coverage as well as insurance for other types of vehicles, including RVs, motorcycles, boats, and personal watercraft or commercial vehicles. If you’re in the market for a new auto policy, here are a few key features to consider.
About average customer satisfaction
In J.D. Power’s 2019 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction study and 2019 Insurance Shopping Study, customers rated their satisfaction in shopping for auto insurance with Progressive and its claims process as “about average.”
In 2018, Progressive had fewer complaints than average compared to other insurance companies of its size, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, or NAIC.
Tools to help with your insurance shopping
Progressive’s “Name Your Price” tool can help you find coverage options that fit your budget. But remember, the cheapest option may not include all of the coverage you want. Progressive also provides an easy way for you to compare rates across providers. After you pick the coverage you want and view Progressive’s quoted rate, you’ll answer a few questions and Progressive will show you prices from other companies.
Discounts based on your driving habits
Progressive’s usage-based insurance program, Snapshot, allows you to earn discounts based on how and how much you drive. Choose the app or plug-in device to track the trips you take behind the wheel. Then log in to check your progress and get tips to improve your driving.
In most states, you’ll get a discount just for participating in the program. When it’s time for your policy renewal, you may get a discount based on your driving. According to the Progressive website, drivers can receive an average discount of $145 when they complete the program and renew their policies with Progressive.
A closer look at Progressive auto insurance
If you’re shopping around for auto insurance, here are a few more things to consider as you compare Progressive to other auto insurers.
- Availability — Progressive car insurance is available in all 50 states, but some types of coverage aren’t available nationwide.
- Coverage options — Progressive offers typical coverage you’d expect to find from an auto insurer, including comprehensive and collision, liability, medical payments, roadside assistance and rental car coverage. But it also offers coverage you might not expect, such as custom parts and equipment repair, rideshare coverage and coverage for pets injured during an accident.
- Multiple discounts — There are a variety of discounts available from Progressive, but some aren’t available in all states. Many discounts, like multi-policy bundling, good student, autopay and paperless statement discounts are provided automatically, while others require you to opt-in and may cost a small fee. If you choose to get your auto and home insurance with Progressive, the company may double your policy discount.
- Deductible Savings Bank — This is an add-on feature that gives customers the ability to reduce their comprehensive or collision deductible by $50 for every policy period they go without an accident or ticket.
- Quotes — You can get a quote online, by phone or through an agent. But in most states, if you get your quote online, you’ll qualify for a discount — even if a Progressive representative finishes it over the phone.
- Claims process — In most states, you can file a claim through the Progressive app or over the phone. If you qualify, you may be able to upload photos and videos of damage in the app to get a repair estimate without having to wait for an inspector to look at your vehicle in person.
Is a Progressive auto insurance policy the right fit for you?
Progressive could be a good choice if you need help with auto insurance shopping. Its Name Your Price tool can help you stay on budget, and you can compare car insurance rates from different insurance providers in a few short steps.
Since many of the tools Progressive offers to help you budget, save, get a quote and submit claims are available online or through the company’s app, it may not be the best choice for people who aren’t tech-savvy.
How to get an auto insurance quote from Progressive
Progressive insurance is available in all 50 states, but coverage and discounts vary by state. You can get an online quote at progressive.com, over the phone or in person from one of the company’s independent insurance agents.
Shopping around can help you find the best rate for the coverage you need, so it’s a good idea to get quotes from multiple insurance carriers before you buy a policy. Make sure you’re comparing policies that offer the same type and amount of insurance coverage, because those factors will influence your rate. Check out our articles on determining how much coverage you need and how to compare auto insurance rates to learn more.
Not sure if an auto insurance policy from Progressive is right for you? Consider these alternatives.
If you want to buy car insurance but you’re not sure Progressive is right for you, here are some other auto insurance companies to consider.
- Metromile: Auto insurance from this company could be good for someone who doesn’t put a lot of miles on their car each year.
- State Farm: This insurance company may be ideal if you want to add a student driver to your policy.