Editors’ take: NJM auto insurance comes with high claims satisfaction, a good indicator if customer service tops your priority list. But you’ll sacrifice options. NJM offers standard types of coverage and run-of-the-mill discounts that you’ll find with other insurers.
NJM auto insurance at a glance
|Available in Connecticut, New Jersey, Ohio and Pennsylvania
|J.D. Power customer satisfaction ratings
|Ranked No. 2 in J.D. Power 2022 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study
|How to get an insurance quote
|Online or by calling 1-800-232-6600
|How to submit a claim
|Online or via the 24/7 hotline
- High claims satisfaction rating
- Some extras included with comprehensive and collision coverage
- Ability to get rate discount if you track your driving
- Not available in every state
- Standard discount and coverage options
What you need to know about NJM auto insurance
New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Co. has been around for more than 100 years, and it offers auto insurance to Connecticut, New Jersey, Ohio and Pennsylvania residents only. The company also offers protection for ATVs, boats, classic and collector cars, and motorcycles along with condo, homeowners, renters, personal umbrella insurance and business insurance.
High claims satisfaction
NJM ranked No. 2 for customer satisfaction with its auto claims experience in the J.D. Power 2022 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study. NJM makes it easy to file a claim through your online account or by calling its 24/7 hotline. And if you need repairs, you can take advantage of NJM’s Premier Car Care Network, a network of repair shops that will guarantee your repairs for two years.
Policies with comprehensive and collision coverage automatically come with extras, including limited pet coverage, transportation expense reimbursement and new-car replacement coverage. Transportation expense reimbursement pays policyholders for out-of-pocket transportation costs while their vehicle is being repaired.
Ability to save if you track your driving
NJM SafeDrive is a usage-based insurance program that uses a mobile app on your smartphone to monitor your driving habits and provide feedback. The app tracks how you accelerate, brake, and maneuver corners along with how fast you’re driving and whether you’re distracted.
When you participate in the program, you’ll receive a discount on your policy premium. Just keep in mind that you must enroll in the SafeDrive program when you purchase your auto insurance policy.
Auto coverage offered by NJM
NJM’s auto insurance coverage options are pretty standard and include property damage and bodily injury liability, uninsured motorist coverage, collision insurance, comprehensive insurance and medical expenses coverage.
Optional add-on coverage is pretty common and includes …
- Gap insurance: If your car is totaled, this protection can cover the difference between the amount you’ll receive for your vehicle and the amount you still owe in financing.
- Coverage for trailer/camper body: This coverage can be purchased to help protect your trailer or camper’s body and necessary equipment such as awnings, plumbing and refrigeration systems in the event of an accident.
- Rideshare delivery service coverage: Gig workers driving for rideshare companies like Uber or a delivery service like Amazon Flex may be able to get added protection from NJM while using their personal vehicle on the job.
- Roadside assistance: This coverage includes towing, lockout service, jump starts, flat tire changes and fuel delivery if your vehicle runs out of gas.
Auto insurance discounts offered by NJM
The discounts available from NJM are similar to what you’ll see offered by other insurers.
- Good student discount: High school and college students who have at least a B average or have made the honor roll or Dean’s list may qualify for reduced rates.
- Mature driver: Adult drivers who pass a safe driving course and meet certain age requirements might be able to get a discount.
- Driver training: Drivers in Connecticut, New Jersey and Pennsylvania who’ve completed driver training may get a break on their auto policy rates.
- Defensive driving discount: Drivers in New Jersey who complete a defensive driving course can get a discount on liability, personal injury protection and collision premiums for up to three years.
- Electronic payment discount: You may be able to receive a discount for enrolling in NJM’s auto pay plan.
- Full coverage discount: This discount is automatically applied if you add collision and comprehensive coverage to your policy.
- Home and auto bundle: You may be able to save for bundling home and auto policies.
- Multi-vehicle discount: If you insure two or more vehicles with NJM, a multi-car discount will apply to each vehicle.
- New-car discount: You’ll get an automatic discount if your car is no more than two model years old.
- Paperless discount: If you choose e-delivery of policy documents, you can get a discount in Connecticut, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
- Vehicle safety equipment discount: If your vehicle has anti-theft devices, anti-lock brakes or passive restraints, you may be able to get a discount.
Is NJM a good insurance company?
NJM auto insurance may be ideal if you live in a state where it’s available and want standard coverage and discount options. It could also be good if customer service is really important to you, since NJM ranked highly in customer satisfaction in the J.D. Power 2022 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study.
Be sure to compare car insurance quotes from several insurance companies to help identify the best insurer and policy for your needs.
Can anyone get NJM auto insurance?
If you’re a resident of Connecticut, New Jersey, Ohio or Pennsylvania, you’ll be able to get a quote for NJM auto insurance. A range of factors will affect your car insurance rate, including previous auto insurance claims, driving violations, vehicle history, insurance history and insurance scores.
Not sure if NJM auto insurance is right for you? Consider these alternatives.
- Geico: This insurance company may be ideal if you’re looking for a wide range of discount opportunities.
- Farmers Insurance: Farmers could be a good option if you want a lot of coverage options to choose from or have specific coverage needs.